If you are a student and preparing for any kind of competitive exam you must have come across the platform Unacademy and it is a known fact that it is indeed a very famous one and especially among the NEET, JEE, and UPSC aspirants in India, but wait this is not about Unacademy it’s about the founder of the platform who was not only a former doctor but also an ex-civil servant, an IAS officer. We are indeed talking about the great achiever Roman Saini who comes from not a great place but a small town in Rajasthan but he has been doing wonders from the very beginning of his career let’s get an outlook of this great personality.
Roman is not just a very successful entrepreneur but was also one of the youngest IAS officers.
About the parents of the sheer genius Roman Saini
- Roman Saini belongs to a family of very humble and kind people, Roman’s father is an Engineer by profession and his mother is a homemaker.
Achievements of Roman Saini at a young age
- Roman Saini is considered to be a genius as he was successful in cracking one of the toughest ug level exams that are NEET and AIIMs admission test which is attempted by almost 12-15 lakhs of students every year, only at a very young age of 16 Roman was able to qualify for the exam and secure a seat in one of the most prestigious medical colleges of the country that is AIIMs
- By the age of 18, Roman Saini had already written and also published a paper of his own in a well-reputed medical publication.
- While many were still figuring out what to do with their life by 22 Roman Saini has already completed his MBBS, which is commendable and he got appreciated by many of the professors as well.
- Though no one knew that this was just the beginning of his glorious journey, after the completion of his degree he worked at the National Drug Dependence Treatment Center after working as a doctor which is a dream seen by many, roman felt very overwhelmed and thought to himself that he has more to do with his life and prepared himself for another exam that is UPSC this time Roman was in it to become a civil servant and serve his country for its best.
What suddenly inspired Dr.Roman Saini to be a civil servant?
- Roman Saini was a successful doctor who graduated from one of the best colleges in the country that is AIIMs, but while he was on his medical posting in the rural areas.
Roman was posted in the district of Dayalpur at that time and he was deeply inspired and motivated to uplift the conditions over there and provide a better living standard to the people.
Journey of changing paths from MBBS to IAS
- It was somehow a bit difficult as both of the career choices is a noble and in both professions, one gets to serve the people but it depends on the person how he wants to serve the nation and Roman chose the way of an IAS.
- In the year 2013, Roman was able to secure the 18th position in the whole country also in his first attempt at this very young age.
- “I always believed in myself and my preparation and hoped to secure any position in the top 100s but coming under the top 20 was unbelievable for me too!” this was quoted by Mr.Roman Saini in one of his interviews.
- At the beginning of his MBBS journey, Roman was determined to treat those who were needy and help the poor to get treatments on time and look after them but after his rural posting his focus shifted and he notice that people have problems in receiving the basic amenities, like sanitation food water and electricity which is a more diverse problem and he wanted to work toward that and thus made his mind to become an IAS.
- After clearing the exam Roman was posted in the Madhya Pradesh cadre and served there.
UPSC Marksheet of Dr. Roman Saini
After getting a huge success in his first attempt at UPSC Roman was very overwhelmed and happy, this is his UPSC mark sheet.
|Exam||Total marks||Obtained marks|
Facts you did not know about Roman Saini
- Roman did not take any coaching during his preparation for UPSC, he always believed that coaching institutes are charging way too much than they should and he doesn’t want to promote this notion so he gave the exam dependent on self-preparation and self-study.
- Optional subject for the exam chosen by Roman Saini was Medical science as he had great knowledge and grip with the subject and he was also a doctor.
- Saini did his training and was posted in Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh as an assistant collector.
- After working for a short period Roman’s interest shifted and he wanted to work full time for a successful startup plan Unacademy with his school friend Gaurav Munjal.
Why did Roman Saini quit IAS?
- Roman Saini’s IAS career after his training was rather a brief one and due to various reasons for his life choices, he is been brutally trolled on social media as well.
- After quitting the IAS position people were very much disheartened as they expected a lot from him in a different way, people do claim that such genius minds take everything for granted and so.
- From platforms like quora to Reddit and from LinkedIn to youtube Roman Saini has been trolled put on false allegations and whatnot few anonymous accounts also claimed that he was their batchmate and was charged for physical violence as well.
- All these were only one facet of the coin and to take action against this Roman stood up for himself and clarified what was his true reason for QUITTING such a prestigious position!!!
The true reason for QUITTING!
Roman Saini wanted to continue with the platform UNACADEMY with his friend Gaurav Munjal.
The vision behind this platform was to provide students the quality education in the comfort of their homes also without burning a hole in their parent’s pockets as coaching and tuition fees for these competitive exams are huge deals for the students and not everyone can afford it but that doesn’t mean that they don’t deserve quality education to give fair competition to their competitors.
Unacademy was started by the main founder that is Gaurav Munjal in 2010 as a youtube channel later in the year 2015 the company was founded and this was a huge revolution in the ed-tech startup industry. Also along with Gaurav Manjul and Roman Saini, there is a 3rd founder as well named Hemesh Singh and all three of them have successfully made Unacademy the largest educational platform with over 18000 educators.
Roman Saini also explains how he was skeptical at the beginning and was unsure of his whole decision of quitting and all but Gaurav Manjul who was a great friend of his for almost a decade convinced him that the educational system of India need reform and a drastic change is very much required.
Gaurav also had few experiences running startups in his initial days and this was not his first one, so keeping in mind all these factors Roman took the leap of faith and today Unacademy is a huge success and thousands of students benefit from it every day, and not only that Unacademy has succeeded in bringing results and ranks as well and not in one particular exam like UPSC with whose vision it started originally but also in other exams genre like NEET and JEE, SSC rank holders are being produced every year with almost one-third of the total money spent.
The success journey of Unacademy with Roman Saini
- At first, Unacademy was running as a youtube channel and after resigning from IAS Roman Saini worked as a full-time employee at that channel and had a dedicated team for each exam with professionals who were not just teaching professionals but had professional life experience and were themselves able to crack the exam mostly.
- After some time visible results were recorded and 10 subscribers had also cleared the UPSC exam this was a huge milestone for the early youtube channel and soon there were lots and lots of subscribers and views were getting skyrocketing reach.
- Also with the launch of the app more students were able to get access and it got user-friendly as well this also as a result increased the youtube reach as well.
And this is how the early youtube channel turned into a full-grown educational platform that is loved and preferred by thousands of students.
Message by Roman Saini for all the aspirants
- In an interview Roman stated that up to class 10th he was never really a topper or rank holder due to the culture of mugging up and the theoretical approach of every single subject
- But after class 10th when he focused on his subject of interest like Biology automatically his grades were on the top as he used to love his subjects and was not just reading them for the sake of it or for the sake of getting marks after 12th also he was interested in the field of biology and wanted to learn more and sat for the medical entrance exams and cracked it
- So students must find their field of interest first and then work on it or else they have to put in extra effort to just get to the basics rather they can do wonders in the field in which they are interested
- Changing careers in India is considered a risk or waste of time by most people but this is a very wrong notion and should be changed, change of mind can happen at any age and one should only do what they truly enjoy.