The realm of Science and Technology holds a pivotal position in the modern sociological landscape, encapsulating the intricate interplay between human innovation, societal advancements, and the ethical implications of technological progress. Within the framework of the UPSC Mains examination, the optional subject of sociology has increasingly emphasized the critical understanding of the dynamics between Science and Technology. By delving into the UPSC Mains question papers from 2013 to 2023, this blog endeavors to unravel the profound insights embedded within the questions addressing Science and Technology. Analyzing the thematic patterns, evolving perspectives, and critical issues highlighted by the UPSC, this blog aims to provide a comprehensive guide for aspirants navigating the complex terrain of the sociological implications of Science and Technology, enabling them to grasp the intricate relationship between technological advancements and the societal fabric in contemporary India.
Exploring the multifaceted dimensions of Scientific progress, Technological innovation, and their impact on society, this blog aims to offer valuable insights into the transformative power of Science and Technology in the modern era. By dissecting the thought-provoking questions posed in the UPSC Mains examinations, it seeks to shed light on the ethical dilemmas, societal challenges, and the evolving nature of human interaction with technology. Through this exploration, readers can gain a deeper understanding of the societal implications of scientific advancements, the role of technology in shaping human behavior and values, and the broader implications of the intertwining of science and society in the contemporary Indian context.
Science and Technology – Previous Year Questions (UPSC CSE Mains Sociology Optional)
1. Sociologists argue for democratization of science and technology for inclusive development. Comment. (2022)
2. Describe the role of Science & Technology in enabling us to face the challenges triggered by the COVID – 19 pandemics (2021)
3. Is humanity at the mercy of Nature, Science, and Technology? Comment in the light of the pandemic situation. (2020)
4. Critically analyse the role of science and technology in bringing about social change. (2017)
5. How is the increasing use of technology changing the status of women in Indian society? (2014)
6. Examine science and technology as agents of social change. (150 words) (2013)
7. “Science and Technology are major forces accelerating the process of social change.” Comment (2011)
8. “There has been a substantial decline in labour class and increase in labour force in non – manual jobs with the advent of new technological revolution.” Critically examine. (2010)
9. Explain the idea of social responsibility of science. Analyse the social consequences of development of science and technology in the context of removal of backwardness in development societies. (2006)
10. Write short note : Social consequences of science and technology in India. (2005)
11. Write short note : Science and Social Responsibility (2004)
12. Write short note : Social Impact of New Technologies in India. (2003)
13. Write short note : Ethos of Science. (2002)
14. Examine social consequences of changes in technology. Illustrate your answer with examples from new productive processes and equipment. (1998)
15. Write short note : Science and Social Behaviour. (1989)
FAQs on Science and Technology
Q. How does science contribute to societal development and progress?
Ans. Science contributes to societal development and progress by fostering innovation, promoting technological advancements, and providing solutions to complex societal challenges. It plays a crucial role in enhancing healthcare, improving communication, addressing environmental concerns, and driving economic growth, thereby shaping the overall quality of life and well-being within a society.
Q. What are the social implications of technological advancements in contemporary society?
Ans. Technological advancements have various social implications, including changes in communication patterns, shifts in employment structures, and alterations in societal behaviors and norms. They also influence cultural practices, reshape social interactions, and contribute to the digital divide, thus necessitating critical analysis and ethical considerations regarding their impact on human societies.
Q. How do ethical considerations shape the development and use of technology in society?
Ans. Ethical considerations play a vital role in the development and use of technology, guiding decisions regarding privacy, data security, artificial intelligence, and the ethical boundaries of scientific research. Addressing ethical concerns ensures that technological advancements align with societal values, respect human rights, and contribute to the well-being of individuals and communities.
Q. What are the challenges associated with the integration of science and technology in diverse societal contexts?
Ans. The integration of science and technology in diverse societal contexts often presents challenges such as technological disparities, concerns about data privacy, technological unemployment, and the potential misuse of technology. Overcoming these challenges requires comprehensive policy frameworks, equitable access to technology, and the promotion of digital literacy and ethical decision-making within communities.
Q. How does the study of science and technology contribute to our understanding of societal change and human behavior?
Ans. The study of science and technology provides insights into the ways in which technological advancements influence societal structures, shape cultural dynamics, and impact human behavior. It helps in understanding the role of technology in shaping social institutions, fostering cultural transformations, and addressing the societal implications of scientific progress in the contemporary world.
In case you still have your doubts, contact us on 9811333901.
For UPSC Prelims Resources, Click here
For Daily Updates and Study Material:
Join our Telegram Channel – Edukemy for IAS
- 1. Learn through Videos – here
- 2. Be Exam Ready by Practicing Daily MCQs – here
- 3. Daily Newsletter – Get all your Current Affairs Covered – here
- 4. Mains Answer Writing Practice – here