The Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) stands out as a success story in fostering regional cooperation and stability. Since its inception, the SCO has played a pivotal role in addressing common challenges faced by its member states, which include China, Russia, India, and several Central Asian nations. The organization has successfully facilitated dialogue and collaboration on issues such as counterterrorism, economic development, and regional security. Moreover, the SCO has provided a platform for its diverse member states to build mutual trust and understanding through regular summits and meetings. The cooperative efforts within the SCO have not only strengthened diplomatic ties but have also contributed to the overall stability of the Eurasian region. As geopolitical dynamics continue to evolve, the SCO’s success serves as a testament to the efficacy of multilateral approaches in addressing complex regional issues and fostering a sense of shared responsibility among its member nations.
Tag: GS Paper – 2: Regional Groupings; Important International Institutions.
23rd summit of the SCO; SCO in a changing world; Commitments of SCO; Strategies ahead; Need for multilateralism.
On July 4, 2023, India successfully hosted the 23rd Meeting of the Council of Heads of State of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO).
Decoding the editorial: 23rd summit of the SCO
- The New Delhi Declaration was signed by the leaders of the SCO member-states.
- They issued statements on countering radicalisation and exploring cooperation in digital transformation.
- The summit granted Iran full SCO membership, signed the memorandum of obligations of Belarus to join the SCO as a member-state, and adopted the SCO’s economic development strategy for the period until 2030.
- These significant outcomes have demonstrated the vitality of the “SCO family”.
SCO in a changing world
- The world is grappling with geopolitical tensions, an economic slowdown, energy crises, food shortage and climate change.
- The major risks to world peace and development are power politics, economic coercion, technology decoupling and ideological contests.
- These challenges require the joint response of all countries in the SCO.
Commitments of SCO
- Becoming a community with a shared future for mankind,
- Synergising national development strategies,
- Regional cooperation initiatives,
- Carrying forward the spirit of good neighbourliness and friendship,
- Building partnerships featuring dialogue instead of confrontation, and
- Regional peace, stability and prosperity.
- Strengthening strategic communication
- Supporting each other’s development and rejuvenation.
- Enhancing solidarity and mutual trust for common security
- There are some external elements that are orchestrating a new Cold War and bloc confrontation in the region.
- These developments must be addressed with high vigilance and firm rejection.
- Upgrading security cooperation, and cracking down in a decisive manner on terrorism, separatism and extremism, and transnational organised crimes.
- Cooperating in digital, biological and outer space security, and facilitating political settlement when it comes to international and regional hot-spot issues.
- Embracing win-win cooperation to chart a path to shared prosperity.
- Protectionism, unilateral sanctions and decoupling undermine people’s well-being all over the world.
- Generating stronger momentum for collaboration in trade, investment, technology, climate actions, infrastructure and people-to-people engagement.
- Contributing to high-quality and resilient economic growth of the region.
- There needs to be collective efforts to scale up local currency settlement between SCO members, expand cooperation on sovereign digital currency, and promote the establishment of an SCO development bank.
- Forging a united, equal, balanced and inclusive global development partnership.
- Voice should be loud and clear against hegemony, unilateralism, a Cold War mentality and bloc confrontation.
- Illegal unilateral sanctions and long-arm jurisdiction measures must be rejected.
- Promoting humanity’s common values of peace, development, equity, justice, democracy and freedom, and get global governance to evolve in a fairer and more reasonable direction.
- China is committed to working with India, South Africa and other partners from the South to put into action the Global Security Initiative, Global Development Initiative and Global Civilization Initiative, to contribute to world peace, security and prosperity.
Need for multilateralism
- The SCO needs more engagements with its observer states, dialogue partners and other regional and international organisations such as the United Nations, to uphold the UN-centred international system and the international order based on international law.
- They need to be united in promoting world peace, driving global development and safeguarding the international order.
Over the next two months, South Africa and India will preside over the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) and G-20 summits, respectively. These will be significant moments to shape a multi-polar world order, promote inclusive global development, and improve international governance architecture.
Source: The Hindu
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is the SCO, and what is its primary objective?
The Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising countries such as China, Russia, India, and several Central Asian nations. Its primary objectives include promoting cooperation in various fields such as security, economics, and culture to ensure regional stability.
2. How has the SCO contributed to counterterrorism efforts among its member states?
One of the significant achievements of the SCO is its successful collaboration in addressing common security challenges, particularly in counterterrorism. The organization has facilitated information sharing, joint exercises, and coordinated efforts to combat terrorism, contributing to enhanced regional security.
3. In what ways does the SCO foster economic development among its member nations?
The SCO serves as a platform for economic cooperation and development. Member states engage in discussions and initiatives aimed at enhancing trade, investment, and infrastructure development. The organization’s efforts have played a role in promoting economic growth and stability in the Eurasian region.
4. How does the SCO promote diplomatic ties among its diverse member nations?
The SCO organizes regular summits, meetings, and diplomatic engagements that provide member states with opportunities to build mutual trust and understanding. This diplomatic dialogue has contributed to stronger ties among nations with diverse cultural, political, and economic backgrounds.
5. Can the success of the SCO be a model for addressing regional issues through multilateral cooperation?
The success of the SCO underscores the effectiveness of a multilateral approach in addressing complex regional issues. By fostering collaboration among diverse nations, the SCO has become a model for handling geopolitical challenges, offering valuable lessons for other regions seeking to achieve stability and cooperation through diplomatic means.
In case you still have your doubts, contact us on 9811333901.
For UPSC Prelims Resources, Click here
For Daily Updates and Study Material:
Join our Telegram Channel – Edukemy for IAS
- 1. Learn through Videos – here
- 2. Be Exam Ready by Practicing Daily MCQs – here
- 3. Daily Newsletter – Get all your Current Affairs Covered – here
- 4. Mains Answer Writing Practice – here