UPSC Mains General Studies Paper – 1 Mains 2023
Enshrined in the Indian Constitution, Article 178 lays the foundation for the establishment of the positions of Speaker and Deputy Speaker within the State legislative assemblies. These roles play a crucial part in facilitating the seamless operation of the Legislative work while upholding the fundamental tenets of democracy.
The Speaker and Deputy Speaker of Legislative Assembly and Chairman and Deputy Chairman of Legislative Council empowered by Art 178 and Art 182 respectively take the role of presiding officers and ensure that there is smooth functioning of Legislative Proceedings of the house .
ROLE IN MAINTAINING ORDER AND IMPARTIALITY:
- Maintaining Decorum on the floor of the house wrt Adjournment of proceedings , Expulsion of members. 12 MLAs were suspended in Maharashtra Legislative Assembly for misbehaving.
- Impartiality and remaining neutral throughout regardless of their party affiliation .Ensuring equal opportunities for all members to voice their concerns.
- Appointment of members to different parliamentary committees regardless of different parties .Public Accounts Committee headed by Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury of INC appointed by Speaker.
- Enforcer of the rules to maintain order and his orders have the power to be taken as precedence.
- Regulating Legislative business of Introduction and passage of bills.
- In order to show impartiality, the presiding officer usually casts his vote in the first instance rather than a casting vote.
FACILITATING DEMOCRATIC PRACTICES:
- Ensures Anti Defection Laws and decides on Disqualifications related to Defection.
- Ensures Equal Representation with debate and discussion on key issues of policy making .
- Conflict Resolution between political parties on important bills.
- Works to Promote Transparency and Accountability in the Legislatures.
Hence, the role of Presiding Officers is Pivotal for ensuring Decorum, Impartiality and facilitating Democratic Practices in the house. Acting as a part of Legislatures, Presiding offices upholds Democratic Values and Rights of the Indian Citizen and the Constitution.
In case you still have your doubts, contact us on 8792740517.
For UPSC Prelims Resources, Click here
For Daily Updates and Study Material:
Join our Telegram Channel – Edukemy for IAS
- 1. Learn through Videos – here
- 2. Be Exam Ready by Practicing Daily MCQs – here
- 3. Daily Newsletter – Get all your Current Affairs Covered – here
- 4. Mains Answer Writing Practice – here
Visit our YouTube Channel – here