UPSC Mains General Studies Paper – 1 Mains 2023
Competition Commission of India (CCI) a Statutory body of government of India established in 2009 under ‘The Competition Act 2002’.CCI is responsible for promoting fair competition in Indian Market and preventing practices that may adversely affect competition.
ROLES OF CCI :-
- Prevent practices having adverse effects on competition.
- To promote and sustain competition in markets.
- To protect the interests of consumers .
- To ensure freedom of trade carried on by other participants in the Indian market.
ROLE OF CCI IN RECENT DECISIONS REGARDING ABUSE OF DOMINANT POSITIONS BY MULTINATIONAL CORPORATIONS (MNCs):-
- In 2022, CCI imposed a fine on GOOGLE for abusing its dominant position wrt its Play Store Policies.
- CCI avoids Monopoly or Single Party Rule.
- CCI Promotes competition in the market while keeping a check on Healthy competitions.
- Creates awareness among its users .
- In 2021, Fine against AMAZON for favouring its sellers and hindering competition.
- CCI monitors and investigates the presence of any anomalies as a hindrance to Equal Competition .
- Provides a level playing Field to all large ,medium, small scale sellers and buyers.
- CCI imposes penalties which act as a deterrent against Anti-competitive behaviour of MNCs.
Hence, CCI had adjudicated more than 1200 Antitrust cases with 89% Case Dispersal Rate .CCI ruled on many innovations such as ‘Green channel’ for approval of transactions and easy business. With Advent of Web 3.0 , Blockchain technology, and other tech needs for Data Protection and security increases further. Thus the power of CCI to Monitor and Control MNCs should be enhanced to ensure fair and just competitions in the market.
In case you still have your doubts, contact us on 8792740517.
For UPSC Prelims Resources, Click here
For Daily Updates and Study Material:
Join our Telegram Channel – Edukemy for IAS
- 1. Learn through Videos – here
- 2. Be Exam Ready by Practicing Daily MCQs – here
- 3. Daily Newsletter – Get all your Current Affairs Covered – here
- 4. Mains Answer Writing Practice – here
Visit our YouTube Channel – here