UPSC Mains General Studies Paper – 1 Mains 2023
The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) which was established in 2001 stands today as an important forum for regional cooperation and stability in Asia. However, the shadow of conflict often hampers its smooth functioning.
VIRUS OF CONFLICT
- Terrorism – India – Pakistan issues like cross border terrorism ,drug peddling in Punjab area , conflict over POK .Pakistan influencing the functioning of RATS .lack of unified approach – regarding Taliban -consequently, China lost no time in recognising the Taliban regime in Afghanistan and beijing is also contemplating the possibility of including Kabul as a member of Sco.
- Border dispute – the Indo – China conflict over illegitimate claims over Indian territories like – Aksai chin , Arunachal Pradesh .BRI – CPEC project .India – Pakistan rivalry over Pak occupied Kashmir ( pok ) region leads to lack of consensus in sco functioning.
- Connectivity issue – Many parts of the SCO region, especially Central Asia, suffer from a lack of efficient transportation infrastructure. Insufficient road networks, railways, and ports make it difficult to transport goods and people within and between member states.
- Geopolitical rivalry – the strategic implications and geopolitical competition in the Indo-Pacific can indirectly impact the SCO through the involvement of shared member states, in different groups.. Example – notably India, participate in both the Quad and the SCO. Such dual memberships can be a means to counterbalance the influence of China and Russia within the SCO and to enhance their strategic options.
Role of India – mitigation
- multilateral diplomatic approach- of India with the thought of Vasudha Iva kutumbakam- whole world a family , India tries to keep aside its bilateral conflicts , serves needy countries with appropriate aid – example – humanitarian aid to Afghanistan , support to Pakistan in flood . fund support to Maldives .
- promote connectivity – to develop connectivity among nations as it leads to better contact with nations .Example – India holding virtual exhibition of shared Buddhist heritage in SCO member states .
- counter terrorism – India promoting practical cooperation in combating terrorism after assuming chairmanship of RATS .
- Promote HADR – Workshop initiative by India on Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief (HADR) is to exchange information and share the best practices on risk reduction and resilience, integration of Armed Forces in a regional response and disaster infrastructure and for promoting global collaboration among SCO members
Hence, Today the world is replete with geopolitical rivalries which affect each and every country in the region. India’s active role in mitigating conflicts in SCO is instrumental, not only for its own interests but also for the broader stability and economic prosperity across the SCO region.
In case you still have your doubts, contact us on 8792740517.
For UPSC Prelims Resources, Click here
For Daily Updates and Study Material:
Join our Telegram Channel – Edukemy for IAS
- 1. Learn through Videos – here
- 2. Be Exam Ready by Practicing Daily MCQs – here
- 3. Daily Newsletter – Get all your Current Affairs Covered – here
- 4. Mains Answer Writing Practice – here