For aspirants looking to delve into the nuanced intricacies of the UPSC Mains examination, the optional subject of sociology holds a pivotal place. Within this realm, the topic of “Works and Economic Life” has garnered significant attention, offering a comprehensive understanding of the intricate relationship between labor, economy, and society. With a dedicated focus on the UPSC Mains question papers spanning the years 2013 to 2023, this blog aims to unravel the profound insights encapsulated within the questions addressing Works and Economic Life. By dissecting the thematic trends, evolving perspectives, and critical issues emphasized by the UPSC, this blog endeavors to provide a comprehensive guide to navigate through the complexities of this crucial sociological domain and equip aspirants with the requisite knowledge and understanding needed to tackle the intricate questions that define this dynamic field.
Exploring the dynamics of labor, production, and economic structures within the Indian context, this blog sets out to unravel the crucial nexus between society and the economy. By analyzing the thought-provoking questions posed in the UPSC Mains examinations over the past decade, this blog seeks to offer aspirants an insightful perspective into the shifting paradigms of work and economic life in contemporary India. By discerning the underlying patterns and thematic trajectories in these questions, readers can gain a deeper understanding of the societal forces shaping the economic landscape, and thus, prepare themselves more effectively to tackle the multifaceted challenges posed by this intricate sociological terrain.
Works and Economic Life – Previous Year Questions (UPSC CSE Mains Sociology Optional)
1. What characterizes degradation of work in capitalist society according to Marx? (2022)
2. Explain the implications of feminization of work in the developing societies. (2022)
3. Elucidate the main problems and challenges faced by the migrant labourers in the recent ‘Lockdown period’. (2021)
4. Explain how political parties and pressure groups are dialectically related to each other in terms of achieving their goals (2021)
5. Explain the emerging challenges in establishing gender equality in the informal sector. (2021)
6. How has the idea of ‘Work from Home’ forced us to redefine the formal and informal organization of work? (2021)
7. Capitalism has brought increasing informalisation of work in society. Substantiate your answer. (2020)
8. Discuss the new labour codes and their impact on formal and informal labour in India. (2020)
9. What is ‘informal labour’? Discuss the need for and challenges in regulating informal labour in the post-industrial society (2019)
10. What is ‘reserve army of labour’? Present the position of feminist scholars on this. (2019)
11. Discuss the nature of social organisation of work in capitalist society with reference to the ‘Limits of the working day’. (2018)
12. What is labour commitment? Discuss it with reference to studies of manufacturing industry. (2018)
13. What do you understand by ‘informalisation of labour’ ? Write your answer with special reference to India. (2017)
14. Trace the changing nature of organisation of work in capitalist society over the years. (2017)
15. Describe the nature of social organization of work in industrial society. (2016)
16. “Globalization has pushed the labour into informal organization of work.” Substantiate your answer with suitable examples (2016)
17. Distinguish between the social organization of work in feudal society and in capitalist society. (2015)
18. The increasing importance of the tertiary sector has weakened the formal organization of work in recent times. Examine the statement. (2015)
19. What are the distinctive features of social organization of work in slave society ? How is it different from feudal society ? (in about 150 words) (2014)
20. Examine the social impact of globalization on labour and society (2013 )
21. Write short note on the following from a sociological perspective : Industrial Democracy. (2012)
22. How do formal and informal organisation of work influence labour’s mobility ? Explain with examples. (2012)
23. Write short note on Self – Help Group (SHG) as an informal organization from a sociological perspective (in about 150 words) (2011)
24. What is formal organization ? “The growth of bureaucracy has resulted in extreme concentration of power at larger levels of social organization.” Discuss. (2011)
25. “Work in capitalism is reduced to mere labour in which the individual does not develop freely his physical and mental energy and mortifies his body and ruins his mind.” Critically evaluate the assertion. (2010)
26. Write short note on Feminisation of Labour in Informal Sector (2010)
27. Write short note on Human Relations School of Thought by Elton Mayo as a social organisation of work process in industry. (2010)
28. Analyse the social impact of market economy on traditional societies. (2010)
29. Indicate social determinants of economic development. Discuss any one sociological perspective analysing backwardness and poverty in the developing societies. (2007)
30. Write short note : Features of Pre-Industrial economic system. (2007)
31. Write short note : Social determinants of economic development (2005)
32. Examine in detail the impact of new global economy on work organization and family structure in India. (2004)
33. Write short note : Social determinants of Economic Development. (2003)
34. Write short note : Industrialization and social change. (2002)
35. Write short note : Types of Exchange. (2001)
36. Write short note : Emerging pattern of sexroles in modern society (2001)
37. Write short note : Social determinants of economic development. (2000)
38. Write short note : Features of pre-industrial economic system. (1998)
39. Write short note : Industrialisation and social change. (1997)
40. Write short note : Types of exchange. (1996)
41. Write short note : Social consequences of economic development. (1995)
42. Write short note : Pre – industrial Economic system. (1989)
43. Write short note : Formal organisation. (1988 )
44. Write short note : Problems of nation – building in developing countries. (1986)
45. Write short note : Social aspects of Industrial economic system. (1984)
46. Write short note : Changing concept of property. (1984)
FAQs on Works and Economic Life
Q. What does the concept of ‘Works and Economic Life’ encompass in the field of sociology?
Ans. Works and Economic Life, within the realm of sociology, involves the study of the relationship between human labor, economic structures, and societal institutions. It delves into the dynamics of work, production, and the organization of economic activities, exploring how these elements intersect with broader social processes, power dynamics, and cultural influences.
Q. How does the understanding of economic life contribute to our comprehension of societal dynamics?
Ans. A comprehensive understanding of economic life offers insights into the intricate interplay between economic structures and social relations. It allows us to analyze the impact of economic systems on social stratification, power differentials, and the distribution of resources within a society. Moreover, it helps in comprehending the influence of globalization, technological advancements, and changing work patterns on social dynamics and human behavior.
Q. What are the key factors influencing the organization of work and economic life in contemporary society?
Ans. Contemporary society is influenced by various factors shaping the organization of work and economic life. These factors include technological advancements, globalization, shifts in labor markets, changing employment patterns, the impact of digitalization on traditional work structures, as well as the influence of social and cultural norms on labor practices and economic participation.
Q. How does the study of Works and Economic Life contribute to policy-making and socio-economic development?
Ans. The study of Works and Economic Life provides critical insights for policy-makers in crafting effective socio-economic policies. It helps in identifying and addressing issues related to unemployment, labor exploitation, income inequality, and the overall well-being of the workforce. Understanding the complexities of economic life is vital in formulating strategies for sustainable economic development and fostering inclusive growth.
Q. What are some of the contemporary debates and challenges surrounding Works and Economic Life?
Ans. Contemporary debates in this field revolve around topics such as the gig economy, automation’s impact on employment, the sustainability of traditional labor models, and the implications of income inequality on social cohesion. Engaging with these debates enables a deeper understanding of the challenges and opportunities within the dynamic landscape of contemporary economic life.
In case you still have your doubts, contact us on 9811333901.
For UPSC Prelims Resources, Click here
For Daily Updates and Study Material:
Join our Telegram Channel – Edukemy for IAS
- 1. Learn through Videos – here
- 2. Be Exam Ready by Practicing Daily MCQs – here
- 3. Daily Newsletter – Get all your Current Affairs Covered – here
- 4. Mains Answer Writing Practice – here