Geography is one of the popular optional subjects for the Civil Services Examination conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). If you have chosen Geography as your optional subject, it is important to have a good understanding of the various books and reference materials available for preparation.
Before you start with the above reference books, you should be well-versed in the following Basic Readings
- NCERT (old edition) – Class 6th to 10th
- NCERT (new edition) – 11th and 12th
- Cerfiable course in Geography – Goh Cheng Leong
- Geography Made Simple Series (vol 1 and vol 2) – Rupa Publication
Reference books/Standard Books for Geography Optional
Here is a list of reference books that can help you prepare effectively for the Geography optional paper in the UPSC exam:
- Geomorphology – Savindra Singh
- Climatology – Savindra Singh
- Oceanography – Savindra Singh
- Env Geography – Savindra Singh
- Human Geography – Majid Hussain (5th edition )
- Models and Theories -Majid Hussain
- Geographical Thought – RD Dikshit
- Fundamentals of Geographical Thought – Sudipta Adhikari
- India – Comprehensive Geography by Khullar (2018 edition)
- Orient Blackswan School Atlas
- Oxford School Atlas
Current Affairs Magazine for Geography Optional
Geography Optional is a dynamic subject. A lot of Geography Optional questions in the UPSC Mains Optional Paper focuses on Current Affairs Readings. Hence, apart from the Basic Readings and Standard/Reference books, it is recommended to cover the news related to Geography, and solve MCQs/Questions based on these readings.
We thus, recommend – KOSMOS Magazine, a feature magazine for Geography Optional including Environment & Ecology.
Frequently Asked Questions on Geography Books for UPSC:
Q1. How can I prepare for Geography optional for UPSC?
Ans. Aspirants can prepare for the Geography optional for UPSC by referring to the best books for Geography. Since the subject is included in both the preliminary and mains exams, candidates should refer to the Geography book list provided in this article.
Q2. What are the best books for Geography optional in UPSC mains? Ans. The following are some of the best books for Geography optional in the UPSC mains exam:
- “Geography NCERT XI & XII”
- “Human Geography” by Majid Hussain
- “Models and Theories” by Majid Hussain
- “Physical Geography” by Savindra Singh
- “Geographical Thought” by Sudipta Adhikary
- Other books by Majid Hussain are highly recommended by IAS toppers and experts.
Q3. Which are the best books for Physical and Human Geography for UPSC preparation? Ans. The following are the best books for Physical and Human Geography for UPSC preparation:
- “Physical Geography” by Savindra Singh (comprising five specific books on physical geography: Geomorphology, Oceanography, Climatology, Environment Geography, Biogeography)
- “Human Geography” by Majid Hussain
- “Certificate Physical and Human Geography” by Goh Cheng Leong
Q4. What is the best book for World Geography for UPSC preparation? Ans. The following are the best books for World Geography for UPSC preparation:
- “Economic and Social Geography – Made Simple” by R. Knowles and J. Wareing
- “Evolution of Geographic Thought” by Majid Hussain
- “Physical Geography – Made Simple” by Richard H. Bryant
- “Oxford School Atlas” by Oxford University Press
- “World Regional Geography” by Henry W. Tischler
- “Geography of the World” by Majid Hussain.
For UPSC Prelims Resources, Click here
For Daily Updates and Study Material:
Join our Telegram Channel – Edukemy for IAS
- 1. Learn through Videos – here
- 2. Be Exam Ready by Practicing Daily MCQs – here
- 3. Daily Newsletter – Get all your Current Affairs Covered – here
- 4. Mains Answer Writing Practice – here
Visit our YouTube Channel – here