Reading the NCERT thoroughly is considered to be the golden rule by most of the toppers and aspirants, NCERT books serve as the most important source material for many of the important UG level and PG level competitive exams as well as NEET-UG, JEE Mains, KVPY, ICAR, SSC, and of course UPSC.
Aspirants consider that NCERT provides the perfect base for understanding the basics and common parts of the syllabus required for the exam.
One should keep in mind that they need to cover almost 44 books in total from class 6th to 12th and each book contains an average of 14-15 chapters.
An aspirant needs to plan properly and schedule a practical timetable to complete their goal and move to the next step of the preparation.
How to start your UPSC preparation from scratch.
- Strategize your syllabus and set realistic goals to complete.
- Arrange proper reputed mock tests to attempt as it is an important part of the preparation.
- NCERT books are written in simple language and are a great source for learning the basics.
- Clearing up the basics is the most important part before going for advanced information and preparation because going from the basics will help you with better advanced understanding
Why is NCERT the best way to start your preparation?
- NCERT books are easy as they are practically school books but have a lot of valuable content.
- NCERT books are updated every year under government surveillance so the content is trusted as well as updated, unlike other books which have not been updated for 5-8 years.
- Topics are very well categorized according to class and levels.
- Authentic and correctly checked information.
- Many high-level complicated topics are explained in a very easy and accessible manner so that every individual can easily understand them.
Basic steps on how to read NCERT for UPSC preparation.
- Choose your subject wisely, as optional, and continue to work on that subject without having any second thoughts.
- Might sound unreal, but Starting from the very basic beginning is important, so start from the class 6 NCERT books on the specific subjects.
- Read the chapter-wise and then after completing each level that is each class book, go for the next one and study keeping relevance to the last level.
Things to keep in mind for studying the NCERT books for UPSC preparation.
- It is best to start with the book Indian Polity NCERT books for UPSC.
- The NCERT books are in tune with the UPSC requirements, though for history the old books are recommended.
- Also for the subject Geography, the new edition books are suggested.
- Firstly make notes and make individual notes for specific topics compiling the information from all the grade books for the specific topic.
- It is said for every exam each and every line of the NCERT book of the subject is important both for concepts and questions.
Most recommended books of NCERT
|Class 6||Our past I|
|Class 7||Our past II|
|Class 8||Our past III|
|Class 9||India and the contemporary world|
|Class 10||Themes in world history|
|Class 11||Themes in world history[Industrial Revolution]|
|Class 12||Themes in Indian History I II III|
|Class 6||The earth is our habitat|
|Class 7||The environment|
|Class 8||Resource and development|
|Class 9||Contemporary India 1|
|Class 10||Contemporary India 2|
|Class 11||Fundamentals of physical geography|
|Class 12||Fundamentals of human geography|
For economics NCERT books from classes 9 – 12 are extremely important and enough.
For optional subjects regarding science,
- All the books of science from class 7 to 12th are more than enough to cover the basics and concepts
- From the class 12th biology NCERT, unit 10 consisting of ECOLOGY is important.
- Chemistry classes 12th (Unit 16) and 11th (unit 14) should be taken into consideration and given special importance.
- Also from Biology, the chapters on Biotechnology are important as well because of the in demand of the field, and improvements are made every day.
Read our SUCCESS STORIES.
Q: Why is NCERT considered essential for UPSC preparation?
NCERT textbooks provide a strong foundation by covering the basic concepts of various subjects, which is crucial for understanding advanced topics in the UPSC syllabus. They are designed to build a comprehensive understanding of key subjects such as history, geography, polity, and science.
Q: How do NCERT books contribute to conceptual clarity in UPSC exam preparation?
NCERT books are known for presenting information in a clear and concise manner. They focus on building conceptual clarity, ensuring that aspirants have a solid understanding of fundamental principles. This clarity proves beneficial when tackling the diverse and intricate questions asked in the UPSC examination.
Q: In what ways do NCERT textbooks help in integrating knowledge across UPSC subjects?
UPSC exams require an interdisciplinary approach, and NCERT textbooks facilitate this by covering various subjects in a cohesive manner. For instance, historical events discussed in the history textbooks may have repercussions on the polity or geography of the region, providing a holistic view of the subject matter.
Q: How do NCERT books aid in the development of analytical and critical thinking skills for UPSC aspirants?
NCERT textbooks often include questions that encourage analytical thinking and critical evaluation of information. By solving these questions, aspirants develop the necessary skills to analyze complex situations, a key requirement for the UPSC exam, which tests candidates on their ability to apply knowledge to real-world scenarios.
Q: Why are NCERT textbooks recommended for both prelims and mains stages of the UPSC examination?
NCERT books cover the fundamental concepts required for the preliminary stage, helping aspirants build a strong base. Additionally, the detailed and comprehensive information provided in these books proves beneficial for the mains stage, where a deeper understanding of topics is necessary for essay writing, answer writing, and interview preparation. This dual-purpose makes NCERT an indispensable resource for UPSC preparation.
In case you still have your doubts, contact us on 9811333901.
For UPSC Prelims Resources, Click here
For Daily Updates and Study Material:
Join our Telegram Channel – Edukemy for IAS
- 1. Learn through Videos – here
- 2. Be Exam Ready by Practicing Daily MCQs – here
- 3. Daily Newsletter – Get all your Current Affairs Covered – here
- 4. Mains Answer Writing Practice – here